Culture Surprises in Japan

/
0 Comments
When I went to Japan, I was prepared for a culture shock. I was prepared for people speaking differently and eating different food and I thought that this will be enough. Which was the biggest shock for me? Let me tell you about the tiny ones first- not actual, unpleasant shocks, but small details that mostly just made me smile and realise that it's not normal that I do things that way, it's just my culture. Let’s start with five tiny things that were much more surprising than I could have ever expected.

#1 Humour

The first thing I've noticed was sense of humor. I've already made a post about it, but let me remind you: people in Japan just couldn't get my jokes, while I couldn't understood theirs. While it might seem like no big deal, it's really difficult to spend so much time without joking and laughing at something funny at all.

#2 Menu

Another thing that was surprising, but actually really nice and I got used to it really quickly, was the way Japanese menu was constructed. First of all, in front of every restaurant, bar, pub there was a window full of plastic models of sold food and drinks with prices. The models looked exactly like the dishes- if you see three pieces of meat, that's exactly what you will get. The same thing worked for English menu- it always had a photo, a name (not very useful) and a price. This way it was possible to order food even without any Japanese.

#3 Fruits and vegetables

Sounds really pedestrian, right? First thing first- the prices and usage. in my country we usually buy a kilo or two of fruits and the price is per weight. In Japan it’s per unit and people buy for example one, two or three apples. When fruits and vegetables are served in a restaurant, it’s a few pieces. Forget about salads. Still, I was surprised to discover in how many different ways people I meet were eating. People from Europe were not eating watermelon's seeds while people form America were surprised by it. People from Australia were peeling oranges with a spoon, I used a knife. I even heard once that I eat a Caesar salad in a “funny way”

#4 Pedestrian walk etiquette

In my country we walk on the right side. In Tokyo people walk on the left side. Sounds easy remember right? Just stick to the left. But, that’s not the end. In Kansai people also walk on the left, but stand on the right side of escalator. Also, there's plenty of Subway/ train stations with "please, keep to the right here" signs. In Poland people don’t walk on the bike lane, because it’s for bikes, not for people, right? What if a biker wants to drive and someone walks on is road and becomes an obstacle? In Tokyo people treat bike lanes as a pavement on which they just need to be a little more careful, since sometimes there are bikes in there.

#5 The service

I already mentioned why people love konbini - they have everything: instant dinner, cosmetics, printer, tickets and ATM. But the products are just the beginning. What I really loved and what came to me as a surprise, was how helpful and nice the staff is- everywhere, not only in konbini, but that was the place where I was expecting it the least. They always smile brightly, they always greet clients cheerfully and bow. They count change at least twice while showing it, to make sure there’s no mistake and they pack groceries very carefully, roll the handles of the bag together to make it more comfortable to carry. Japanese staff is the best when it comes to tiny details and making life easier for clients.

This is just the beginning of small things that make Japan so different from my home. Stay tuned for more!


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.